Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2018

An Interview With Kit Builder Ren Monllor


I recently met by phone with Ren to discuss his latest kit building project, the QRPGuys CW Trainer.
https://qrpguys.com/qrpguys-code-trainer
Me: Why did you purchase this kit?
     Ren: I am working on getting my CW speed up.
Me: Is there a QRP connection?
     Ren: Yes, for sure. I find QRP satisfying because it is a challenge, and I have always liked kit building. 
Me:How much did this kit cost?
     Ren: $15.00
Me How long did it take to assemble?
     Ren: about 1 hour.
Me: What skill level would you say is required?
     Ren: Basic soldering. This was a pretty straight forward project to build. Even so, I never begin building a kit before reading the instruction book cover to cover, including the copyright date. :-)
Me:Were there any tricky parts to this assembly that another kit builder should know.
     Ren: Not really.
Me are you happy with this kit?
     Ren: Very much so. It is well worth the price. It has several features that I know will help me become a better cw operator.
Me: What kit do you plan on building next?
     Ren: My next kit will be a QRP-mini paddle.
Me: I noticed that your kit is housed in a very nice enclosure. Where did you get that.
     Ren: I printed it myself using files readily available on the net, that can be downloaded for free.
Me: So you have a 3-d printer?
     Ren: Yes, I own a Creality C-10 3 printer. 
Me: QRP, Kit Building and Code go together. Do you have any suggestions for learning CW.
     Ren: Yes, several. I would like to see a group of hams from the club participate in some sort of regular code practice event. 
Me: Do you think meeting on something like Google hangout would be helpful to keep enthusiasm high for learning CW?
     Ren: That is not a bad idea. Recently I came across a complete CW training course online. I am giving it a serious look. 
Me: That site looks interesting. I think I will visit it myself.  http://www.cwops.org/cwacademy.html

Here are two views of Ren's project.




No comments:

Post a Comment